If you’ve been injured in a truck accident, you have the right to pursue compensation from the party that caused the collision by filing a lawsuit against them. That said, filing a winning lawsuit can be incredibly challenging, especially if you’re dealing with the pain and mobility issues caused by a serious injury.
Fortunately, the team at The Schiller Kessler Group can help you file a civil suit and answer any questions you have about suing someone personally after a truck accident. Let’s learn more about your right to take legal action after an accident and how doing so can help you get back on your feet.
How Can I Sue Someone After a Truck Accident?
As mentioned above, you’ll need the help of an experienced Fort Lauderdale truck accident lawyer to file a lawsuit after a truck crash. An attorney can take a number of different actions to file your suit correctly and ensure it is successful. Here’s what a lawyer will do to help you sue someone after a truck collision:
- Investigate the collision
- Work with accident reconstructionists to identify the factor(s) that caused the crash
- Use evidence to construct a compelling and facts-based lawsuit
- Fight for your compensation in court
- Meet important state filing deadlines and requirements
As you can see, an attorney can take a variety of steps to ensure you get the compensation you’re owed. However, there are also a few simple steps you can take immediately after a truck collision to improve your chances of recovering damages.
What You Can Do to File a Successful Truck Accident Lawsuit
While your truck accident attorney will do most of the heavy lifting required to file a winning suit, you can take the following measures right after the truck crash to ensure your case goes as smoothly as possible:
- Seek medical attention ASAP if your injuries are severe
- Call local law enforcement and have them file an accident report
- Take down the other driver’s contact and insurance information
- Take photos of the accident scene, vehicle damage, and your injuries
- Speak to eye-witnesses and take down their contact information
- Hire a truck accident lawyer as soon as you can
Call the aggressive attorneys
How Long Do I Have to Sue After a Truck Accident?
It’s important to understand that you have a limited amount of time to file a lawsuit after a truck accident. That’s because the state of Florida has a statute of limitations that all truck and car accident victims must follow when taking legal action.
According to the statute, you have two years from the date of your truck accident to sue someone personally. If you fail to take action within the two-year timeframe, you’ll be blocked from receiving the compensation you need to cover your accident-related losses and cope with the other impacts of the collision.
The best way to avoid missing Florida’s filing deadline is to hire an attorney as soon after your accident as possible. Once an experienced lawyer takes over your case, they’ll be able to work efficiently and ensure your suit is submitted well before the state’s strict filing deadline.
What Damages Can I Obtain by Suing Someone After an Accident?
When you work with a truck accident attorney to file a lawsuit, they’ll pursue a number of different compensatory damages on your behalf. If your suit yields compensation, you could receive any of the following damages:
- Medical expenses: These damages can cover the cost of current, ongoing, and future medical treatment for your truck crash injuries. They can also be used to pay for prescription medications, assistive medical devices, physical therapy sessions, ambulance transportation, and emergency hospital visits.
- Lost wages: many truck accident victims find that their injuries prevent them from going to work for quite some time after a collision. Unfortunately, this means that they stand to lose a considerable amount of income, as they’re unable to work for a weekly wage or salary. Luckily, these damages can cover the paychecks you miss.
- Decreased earning ability: While some accident victims only have to miss a few workdays, others may be left with injuries that prevent them from working for an extended period of time or force them to take a lower-paying job. If that’s happened to you, these damages can make up for your reduced earning capacity.
- Vehicle repair expenses: Due to the size and weight of a commercial truck, truck collisions can cause severe damage to the other vehicle(s) involved. The good news is that a successful suit can yield the compensation you need to cover your vehicle repair costs.
- Pain and suffering: Truck crashes are known to cause a variety of painful injuries. If you’ve experienced pain or physical discomfort after a truck accident, you can sue someone for the pain and suffering damages.
- Emotional distress: Accidents can cause both physical and emotional pain. If you’ve suffered from emotional distress, anxiety, or post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) after a crash, these damages can give you the financial support you need to manage the turmoil you’re experiencing.
How Much Does It Cost to File a Truck Accident Lawsuit?
Suing someone after a truck accident doesn’t have to cost you a dime out-of-pocket. If you hire an attorney who works for a contingency fee, they’ll help you file a lawsuit in exchange for a portion of the money you receive from the final court verdict.
If your case is unsuccessful, you won’t have to compensate your lawyer for their work. Before your attorney gets started on your case, they’ll meet with you to discuss the percentage they’ll take from your winnings and answer any questions you have about contingency fee representation.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Schedule a Free Consultation With a Truck Accident Lawyer Today
Now that you know you can sue someone personally after a truck accident, it’s time to get started on your case. To do so, all you have to do is contact The Schiller Kessler Group and schedule a free, no-obligation consultation with an experienced truck accident attorney.
When you work with our firm, you can rest assured that your case is in good hands. That’s because our team has won a number of outstanding case results for accident victims just like you. We’ve also received countless positive client reviews for the excellent work our team has done.